Friday, March 23, 2012

Got (Guernsey Cow) Milk?

I love milk. I don't care how bad some circles say it is for you, I still love it. When I was young, nothing was better than coming home from school and downing a cold glass of milk. My consumption is lower now - I only really drink it in my coffee and use it in cereal - but I sometimes crave a glass of cold milk like I did back then.


When Leila was first starting out on yogurts, I found a really great brand of yogurt - Grace Harbor FarmsLet me tell you... this yogurt is TO DIE FOR. They make a honey yogurt that tastes like eating flowers (in a good way). Sweet, creamy.... and just heavenly! They are local to me in Seattle (Custer, WA)... and I can find them at my local natural market, PCC. They are famous for using Guernsey Cattle to produce their dairy products. The question I have always asked about it.... What is so dang special about the Guernsey cow's milk?


Quoted from Grace Harbor Farms website: "It has more natural beta carotene than ordinary cow milk giving it an lovely golden milk color. The milk is also naturally sweeter tasting than ordinary milk. But one of the most  interesting things about Guernsey milk is that most Guernsey cows produce milk with a different type of protein than ordinary cows." 


This type of milk is called A2 - and it more often found in Europe than the US. There is a lot of anectotal evidence that this type of milk is "better" for you because of the different type of proteins, but there is no scientific evidence to back that up. 


Because I'm not a scientist, I thought I would test the milk on the only thing that I know I'm pretty good at. TASTING!! I have a pretty good palette from my chocolate tasting career past, so I thought I would compare the Grace Harbor Farms whole milk ($3.35/quart) to my standard Organic Valley whole milk (approx $2/quart). 



So..... I poured a small bit in two different glasses: 


The one on the left is Grace Harbor Farms, and the one the right is Organic Valley... So far, no really visible difference... Maybe just a slight yellower color to the Grace Harbor....

I took a sip - and the difference started to come out.

The Grace Harbor Farms milk had a different texture to it. I was silkier, creamier, and had a fuller taste. 



The Organic Valley wasn't bad in comparison, though... it had a fresh, lighter taste.... better for the refreshing glass I crave sometimes. 


So the verdict in my (semi-professional) opinion? I would recommend the Grace Harbor Farms milk if you are really into eating whole foods, are starting your child out on dairy, and live locally in WA. If you don't, see if you can find a dairy that has Guernsey cows. It might be something to check out in your neck of the woods. I think it would be great for baking, confections, and my favorite.... making truffles!!! (Upcoming blog post alert!!)

I will still purchase the Organic Valley milk because the price is right, and you can find it everywhere. I might consider buying the Harbor Farms milk for Leila and a smaller package of Organic Valley for my use. Either way - I loved doing this taste comparison, and I always encourage you to do the same! You can really learn something about what you are eating in the process. Happy milking!!!

3 comments:

  1. Great posting. I had no idea there was a difference in milk proteins from cow to cow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog post and super informative... I think another great comparisan would acutally be the Guernsey milk vs another local variety. I think perhaps some of the milk could lose that silky flavor due to overprocessing in a high volume facility (I am thinking that Organic Valley probably handles a pretty heavy load of milk from many different sources).

    I would be curious to see that difference.

    And I have actually done a taste test from organic vs non organic milk and there is for sure a difference there too :)

    Great post and super informative !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of Guernsey milk before. Very interesting. When I went back home, I told my mom that I wanted organic milk for Ethan and she thought I was going to make her milk a cow at a farm. <- Geeez run on sentence...

    ReplyDelete